You may already have all of them. You know, the first six Trek films, then the four from the Next Generation cast, plus the J.J. Abrams “Kelvin” movies. If not, now is a great time to binge eight of these incredible films on Amazon’s free IMDB TV streaming network — free of charge.
Thanks to a report from CBS-owned TV Guide, here is the schedule when they’ll be released:
Wednesday, June 17
- Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home — best known as the ”one with the whales.” But it really should be known as the final film in Trek’s Genesis trilogy. Directed by Leonard Nimoy and starring William Shatner, Nimoy, and DeForest Kelly.
- Star Trek: First Contact — the very best from the Next Generation era. Directed by Jonathan Frakes and starring Sir Patrick Stewart, Frakes, Levar Burton, and James Cromwell
- Star Trek: Beyond — the third and possibly final of the so-called Kelvin films. Starring Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto and Zoe Saldana, and Karl Urban.
Wednesday, July 1
- Star Trek: The Motion Picture — the film that restarted the franchise. Heavily influenced by 2001: A Space Odyssey, this Trek film gave viewers a look at the crew and the Enterprise in film-quality never seen before.
- Star Trek V: The Final Frontier — Directed by William Shatner, the film was supposed to be a masterpiece which would feature the Enterprise crew encountering the divine. Unfortunately, because of budget reasons, we got a fun little movie.
- Star Trek IV: The Undiscovered Country — the last hurrah for the Original Series crew, and possibly the second best of the first six films. Starring William Shatner, Leonard Nimoy, and DeForest Kelly.
- Star Trek Generations — known to all Trek fans as the “one where Kirk dies.” That’s not untrue, but the point of this film was to pass the torch to the team from the Next Generation television series.
- Star Trek: Nemesis — the final Next Generation film. The feelings on this are mixed (you can read our review here) but it is action-packed, and directly ties into the Picard series which just aired on CBS All Access.
Where to watch the other five Trek films
That’s a pretty awesome list! But, the watchful eyes of Trek fans noticed that there were a few important titles missing from the IMDb TV streaming list. Here’s where you can rent them online:
- Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan — Amazon, Hulu, EPIX, Sling, YouTube, VUDU, Google Play, iTunes
- Star Trek III: Search for Spock — Amazon, Hulu, EPIX, Sling, YouTube, VUDU, Google Play, iTunes
- Star Trek: Insurrection — Amazon, Hulu, EPIX, YouTube, VUDU, Microsoft
- Star Trek (2009) — Amazon, YouTube, VUDU, Microsoft, Google Play, iTunes
- Star Trek Into Darkness — Amazon, YouTube, VUDU, Microsoft, Google Play, iTunes
UPDATE: This deal is good for viewers in the United States only.